Thursday, January 7, 2010

A Pocket (Not Lost)


As in "Lucky Locket lost her pocket,
Kitty Fisher found it".
How does one lose a pocket? When it's an eighteenth century pocket. Ladies (and girls) had a "pocket" that they tied on around their waist. If the pocket came untied, perhaps while playing, voila!!, it's lost!
Here's my new pocket:

Here's Lottie, the tape dummy, wearing my new chemise and pocket:

I used some scraps from old projects, found deep in my stash and rag box.


Some check for the front



and plain white linen for the lining and the back. I sewed the front and lining together at the slit, clipped the seam and turned it, then sewed the front, lined piece to the back. I added a ribbon to tie the pocket around my waist--over my chemise and under my petticoats.
Many times pockets were quite lovely, embroidered and fancy.

This is a mid 18th century pocket displayed at the Museum of Costume, Bath, England.
http://www.museumofcostume.co.uk/exhibitions/past_displays/pockets_of_history.aspx
But mine is not so fancy. One day, perhaps, I'll get out the ol' embroidery hoop and silk threads and go to work on a pretty pocket!

No comments:

New (To Me) Tuesday

A beautiful blog: Oh, the Lovely Things . Beautiful photography, beautiful art, beautiful simplicity, beautiful projects.... Like this o...