This is how I feel about now---like I'm sinking in school work. Last week I had my youngest son's high school musical, two HUGE papers and one test. This last weekend I had my middle son's birthday and my oldest son's university senior studio--which is his senior drama project consisting of a one-act play which he produced and directed. Add a couple of family weddings over the last three weeks and.....well, anyhow, it's been busy around here!
Only one more final left. Yeah for me!
Plus, I've finally found the long lost camera. A good thing.
As you may remember, a bunch of us moms are doing "Round Robin" quilts. This is quite a stretch for me, as I'm really just learning to quilt. And I'm really not so sure that quilting is my thing--oh, well! So, here's a block I made for another mom! Sorry, just showing off a bit. I won't show you any more--don't want to spoil the quilt for anyone!
I decided it was time to get some valences done to match a bedspread in my oldest son's room, AKA the guest room (now that he's gone off to college!).
I'm not entirely happy with them--they are a bit blah, but at least they are a good start. I am planning to raise them up a bit, change from the run-of-the-mill curtain rod to a pretty, decorative rod (can you tell that these are double window--there is a small window on top the regular, larger windows) and also add some sort of ribbon or trim.
I wanted to make scallops of the white cotton--in order to show the blue band that I cut off the bedskirt. The bedskirt came with the bedspread and the pillow shams--but I didn't use the bedskirt on the bed--instead I'm cutting it up for curtains!
So here's what I used for a scallop template--my cutting board!
Many thanks to the Sewing Success Blog for help with the directions to make my scallops:
Then here's the cardboard template for the scallops:
I sewed two layers of white cotton together on 3 sides (two sides and the soon-to-be scallop side) and then traced off my scallops with a disappearing ink pen--pinning the two layers together carefully along the marked-off scallops: Then I sewed--with a tiny stitch!--along the traced lines, following the directions to turn the corners (using two stitches across the turn) and then trimming/clipping carefully.
I turned the scallops right side out and ironed everything flat as a pancake.
I then took the border print, which I had stitched to white muslin cut and hemmed on all sides to the correct size
and pinned this piece to the scallops just right so the border peeks through the scallops just so:
Then, I sewed the top casing, using the scalloped piece for the front and the border piece for the back side of the casing. I made quick and easy "guides" using ribbon and tape: ...so that my stitching lines would be nice and even! I just can't eyeball it well enough. It's just a bit of ribbon and some scotch tape. If you don't leave the tape on long--just while you are sewing your casing for the curtain rod--your machine won't get sticky glue on it.
I'll let you see when I 'really' get these valences done!
We had over 14 inches of snow when we got up this morning!
Can't you tell it's deeper than yesterday?
Here's my wonderful hubby--up to his knees!
I think the official count in Dallas was 11.5 or 12 inches, but south of Dallas, where we live, somehow got even a bit more.
And we are snowed in. There's still a foot of snow in our driveway, and it is UPHILL to the street---so there's no going anywhere! Plus, our little back street has little traffic. Thankfully, school was closed today.
Tonight, it's going to go well below freezing. We are supposed to have ICE FOG. I've never even heard of such a thing! Can't wait to see what THAT looks like!
Yesterday, of course, we went to church. Adult Bible class and worship service. It was great! but...
We are attending a new church. For me, it's so hard. While there's great Bible study, there's no community. At least, not yet. Perhaps time will solve that yearning.
I feel that church should be community, based on the word of God and doing God's work here on earth. That work is telling the Good News--the Gospel--and teaching disciples. In making disciples, you also make a community--one that works and prays and studies together. One that is accountable. One that is intimate, forgiving, edifying...
In the meantime, good news for this search. We are starting a Bible study with the express intent of being a community. Being open, honest and frank with each other. Spreading the Good News. Discipling each other. Yeah!!!!
So, now, back to schoolwork.
Plus laundry, bills to pay, sewing, cooking...a Mother's work is never done!
As in "Lucky Locket lost her pocket, Kitty Fisher found it". How does one lose a pocket? When it's an eighteenth century pocket. Ladies (and girls) had a "pocket" that they tied on around their waist. If the pocket came untied, perhaps while playing, voila!!, it's lost! Here's my new pocket: Here's Lottie, the tape dummy, wearing my new chemise and pocket: I used some scraps from old projects, found deep in my stash and rag box.
Some check for the front
and plain white linen for the lining and the back. I sewed the front and lining together at the slit, clipped the seam and turned it, then sewed the front, lined piece to the back. I added a ribbon to tie the pocket around my waist--over my chemise and under my petticoats. Many times pockets were quite lovely, embroidered and fancy. This is a mid 18th century pocket displayed at the Museum of Costume, Bath, England. http://www.museumofcostume.co.uk/exhibitions/past_displays/pockets_of_history.aspx But mine is not so fancy. One day, perhaps, I'll get out the ol' embroidery hoop and silk threads and go to work on a pretty pocket!