Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Sewing Straight Seams: A Bedskirt

Well, I'm much better--but I have NO voice (just a whisper) and a lingering cough. 

If I'm upright, I don't cough.  Of course, when I lie down to go to sleep----it's COUGH, COUGH, COUGH!
I'm so glad there's not a single class this week! (Except the home school co-op class I teach).  Maybe I need some Ovaltine:
Source
 So, straight seams are about all I'm managing.  I finally finished up a bedskirt for the guest bedroom.  I'd previously done the hard part--stitching together the skirt bits and gathering them--so it went together fairly quickly!

Source
It's a very tall bed, but it has a trundle underneath so two people (if necessary) can stay.  I wanted a  bedskirt to hid the trundle bed on bottom.

I used some white muslim from the fabric stash for the flat part (top of the bedskirt) that is between the mattresses.  Then I made a ruffle (cut and finished to the correct length--don't forget to add the hem and top and side seams to your measurements!) long enought to go around each side and the end of the bed.  The ruffle is doubled.  Also, I made the bedskirt so that the corners are "open" to fit this particular bed frame.
Sorta like this!

Don't you think it looks nice?

Here's some places you can find instructions on sewing a bedskirt.  Again--it's straight seams--easy!

The DIY Show Off

1 comment:

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

What a great idea- its beautiful!! Thanks for sharing this at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

New (To Me) Tuesday

A beautiful blog: Oh, the Lovely Things . Beautiful photography, beautiful art, beautiful simplicity, beautiful projects.... Like this o...