Wednesday, January 25, 2012

"And it was juuuusssttt right"...the 1931 Vintage Butterick Repro

I'm working on cutting out the projects for SWAP 2012.

Tissue-fitting the 1931 Reproduction Butterick from Vintage Fashion Library,

I realized that it needed some "letting out."

Time to make a muslin.  First the toile was too small.....

Source

Then it was too big.....
Source
 And finally it was just right!
Source
Pattern review:

From Vintage Fashion Library:
"Princess seam frock dress has V neckline and deep V back.  Sleeveless style can be made in mid calf or evening length, with large flounce at hem.  Large bow embellishes the back.  May also be made in long sleeve style with lace neckline."

Sizing: One size only, Bust 32

Does it look like the pattern envelope?  Yes.  I made the v-neck, knee length, long sleeved dress.

Were the instructions easy to follow?  Minimal instructions as per vintage patterns, but it's easy to figure out!

What did I like/dislike about the pattern?  The pattern was really small.  It was even quite short (and I'm only 5'2" !) I added 4 inches in the bust!  I usually wear about 34" bust.
It's a very pretty princess seamed dress, and the pattern is printed on a nice, sturdy paper.  Vintage Fashion Library has done a nice job in replicating this pattern.

Another quick comment: The pattern's fabric allowance is very skimpy!  If you are tall, or if you need to grade the pattern to a larger size, you would definitely need more fabric. 

I managed to cut out this dress--but I don't have any extra to make seam binding for the neckline. 
Fabric used: Cotton/wool challis

Any alterations? Yes--made it much larger (see above)!  Then had to adjust the armskye--it was too tight.

Would I sew it again? Yes, now that I've fixed the pattern. I would like to make the evening gown one day.

Recommend it to others?  Just be prepared for the small size.

I've got a bit of finishing up to do (I'm trying to find a vintage lace collar to add to it!), so pics will come in a bit.

No comments:

New (To Me) Tuesday

A beautiful blog: Oh, the Lovely Things . Beautiful photography, beautiful art, beautiful simplicity, beautiful projects.... Like this o...