Saturday, January 14, 2012

Pattern Review: Retro Butterick 4928


This pattern was a stretch for me---I'd never tried a coat before!  But I've always wanted a red jacket, and I had this pattern and red wool in the ol' stash---and well, here it is!



Actually, this wasn't too hard to sew.  It's quite a simple pattern. It does run large, just as other sewists noted in Pattern Review.  I made the coat in an extra-small.

Also, I made the coat without the cuffs.  I'm too short to wear too much stuff.

I did run into some troubles with the lining.  Somehow, the lining just wasn't quite long enough!  I don't know if I let that slippery purple rayon slide around (or maybe I stretched it out), but you can see here that I had to sew a bit of hem tape to the sleeve lining to make it long enough.


I also just couldn't wrap my head around the instructions on finishing the lining at the lower edge of the coat.  Besides the problem of the almost-too-short lining, I could not picture exactly what I was supposed to do!  So I just winged it.

About the time I was almost finished hand-stitching the lining down to the hem, I realized that the lining should hang free from the coat.  It wasn't supposed to be stitched down!  Duh. But, no time to fix the mistake, it was time to catch a plane!

And honestly, I'm still not sure exactly how the lining is finished  at the bottom of the coat.  Plus, with the rayon being so ravelly, I personally like the lining sewn down to the coat.  So, I think I will just leave it!

Despite the slight lining difficulties, I really do like the coat--it's warm!  And comfortable!  And looks like the pattern illustration!





3 comments:

Debi said...

LOVE your coat! It's so classy and good to know that it runs large!!

Amy said...

It turned out beautifully!

Jane said...

Thank you, Debi and Amy! I appreciate your comments.

New (To Me) Tuesday

A beautiful blog: Oh, the Lovely Things . Beautiful photography, beautiful art, beautiful simplicity, beautiful projects.... Like this o...